P.W.N. People Writing Nonsense!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)

Go down 
+2
addie.e.e
Dark S3cret
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark S3cret
Admin
Dark S3cret

Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2009-01-17

123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) Empty
PostSubject: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 am

Everything that has a beginning…

Sometimes she wonders whether a name shapes a person, or if a person shapes their name. This is what tends to happen on the odd days where she doesn’t have to deal with a tsunami of homework, she thinks about strange things, pondering the ways of life, the unspoken rules of the universe, and questioning it’s functioning. She does it in a rather systematic fashion, that’s kind of how she does most things. Analyzing life and the world like it’s as simple as lights and clockwork, even though her musings don’t ever make much sense to others, but that’s okay too. It happens a lot. She attempts at explanations, though there’s no guarantees that it will enlighten anyone any. She’s not much of a speaker.

When she thinks about it, some people’s names just fit. Some others don’t. Some people just have the aura of whatever name they were given, some unique, some common, but fitting none the less. She likes to deal with problems by tackling its root, because when you know where something began, it all follows quickly from there. So what does a name mean? She looks it up in a dictionary, and it doesn’t tell her anything she doesn’t already know; which, in all honesty, happens quite often. Especially with a dictionary; which, if one were to think about it, requires that one knows what they’re looking for in order for it to be any help at all.

So it’s sort of like the chicken and the egg, she guesses. If a name shapes the person, that person would grow into the name and whatever else it defines. If the person shapes the name, then names would end up meaning different things to everybody. If it happens to be the former, she thinks, things would be so complicated. What a difficult decision to make. Who would want to set things in stone like that? Well, that isn’t to say that things aren’t already set in stone, but concepts such as fate and destiny, although technically existing, do not require stringent belief from individuals, thus giving each the choice to see the world the way they think they want to. If it is the latter, life would, needlessly said, be pretty complex as well.

She tries to picture a world where such name rules were actually applied as a universal constant and comes to the conclusion that, whatever it may be, she wouldn’t ever know. The only thing she did know was that the usage of names was very necessary.

But either of those were ever possibly the case, particularly the latter idea of a person shaping their name… would that mean that people would earn their name once their life ended, once death had claimed their cold, lifeless bodies? And who would choose the name? Who would be given the privilege, the monumental task of summing up the existence of an entire being with just one word?

She sighs and cradles her head in her hands. She presses her fingertips against her eyelids, hoping the pressure would drive the burning away. And decides that she’ll just start from the beginning, and however complicated it may be, at least it’s a relatively logical place to start, a checkpoint of sorts that would be easy to return to if she ever lost her way. Besides, she didn’t want to restrict herself with a title or a general idea, because that would, in turn, prevent her from going off tangent, which was something she was very likely to do. And all the things that she wants to tell aren’t so easily defined in just one word or one sentence, come to think of it, maybe not even an entire novel.

[new novel idea -- feedback?]

Last edited by Dark S3cret on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
addie.e.e

addie.e.e

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am

ahah I like it! and I can totally relate:P
there's just one thing.. you keep switching from present to past tense and vice versa. It's not very noticeable, but I think it would sound better if you stuck to just one or the other?
Other than that, I have no other feedback:)
Back to top Go down
Traverse Writer

Traverse Writer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Cool yet interesting! Very Happy

I had to agree with Addie, she does make a point.

I understand what you're saying (or trying to), but I still don't understand what going on...
Sorry! silent

Uhh... I still don't think I understand. No I've reread it about several times already. scratch But it DOES sound good. I like to see more of this new story of ours Angela. cheers Keep up the good work! sunny
Back to top Go down
Dark S3cret
Admin
Dark S3cret

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Oooh. Okay, thanks for pointing that out. Haha, the problem was that I had started writing this in first person, so as I was changing it... yeah. Thanks Addie, good catch. ;]

Megan: this is just the intro -- ... I think things will become clearer. If not, well, my main character is writing the story... so here, she's wondering how to begin, and having trouble starting off.
Back to top Go down
muffin-ghoul

muffin-ghoul

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 9:37 pm

very ToK Very Happy
it's got a distinctly different feel to it that your other stuff... but not in a bad way.
hope to see more of this soon. i'm liking the drawn out thought process drabble thing its got going Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dark S3cret
Admin
Dark S3cret

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 10:06 pm

HEY FLO Very Happy

I MISSED YOU.

Haha, are you sure about that? =]

Oh, you'll get to see more. Razz Lots more. ;] And you'll be in it too.
Back to top Go down
Dark S3cret
Admin
Dark S3cret

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Okay EVERYONE Very Happy

I think I fixed most of the minor discrepancies with the tenses?
Back to top Go down
root vegetable

root vegetable

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 8:48 pm

HEY
the on-call-girl had better not be getting more story-age than me!!!
...just, you know, throwing that out there. since, thanks to watchmen, we all know what happens when u fuck with gingers ;D

i kid, i kid. story-fy us both as much as u see fit
<4
Back to top Go down
Dark S3cret
Admin
Dark S3cret

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Razz You're funny.
Any other thoughts?
Back to top Go down
MinglerX

MinglerX

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 7:04 pm

questioningit’s functioning
its. It's means it is. Sorry, I'm nitpicky about that one. Smile

I like the stream-of-thought style. It always tells us a lot about a character, without being too obvious. I'm interested - which is good. So keep it up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)   123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED) Empty

Back to top Go down

123ABCs of Mediocrity (also, UNTITLED)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
P.W.N. People Writing Nonsense! :: GRADUATES :: Novels-
Jump to: