P.W.N. People Writing Nonsense!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Character Sketch: Alyra

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
candychan88

candychan88

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-29

Character Sketch: Alyra Empty
PostSubject: Character Sketch: Alyra   Character Sketch: Alyra EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 pm

A work from grade 8...Refined. Enjoy! :3

Cedric stretched his arms and inhaled the smell of the early morning wilderness surrounding his small village. Yawning, he groggily walked towards a barrel of water where he splashed water face on his face. But as he raised his face, he had to rub his eyes to make sure his imagination wasn’t playing tricks on him.

There, on the outskirts of the woods, almost fully enshrouded in the morning mist stood a lone figure against the trees. Instinctively, Cedric crouched low, concealing himself behind the barrel. Peering forward, he noted that had he not been facing that exact spot near the woods, he most likely wouldn’t have spotted the figure as the thick early morning mist hid the person well. He or she was cloaked and hooded, adding to Cedric’s mounting suspicion. Then the person looked around twice before quickly ducking under a canopy of leaves, into the forest.But not before he caught sight of a single lock of flaming red hair that had dropped out of her hood. He sprang, running into the woods. There was only one person with red hair in the village: Alyra.

Cedric followed her deeper and deeper into the forest, all the while keeping unnoticed. Abruptly Alyra stopped and Cedric thought he had been discovered, until she threw off her hood and started singing.
It was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard and he stood there, entranced. In seconds the dew on buds ebbed away and flower petals uncurled. The buds bloomed, the flowers opened and fruits burst on the trees and bushes. Soon the meadow was filled with colourful flowers and plump fruits.

Cedric was so amazed, he hadn’t realized his foot take a step forward until he heard the loud snap from the branch he stepped on. Abruptly, Alyra stopped singing and all the plants that had so suddenly bloomed, retreated as if frightened, back to their original state. A sharp gasp escaped her lips as she spun around and saw her witness.

Breaking out of his reverie, he took a few steps forward, shortening the space between them. Looking at her he spoke, “You’re one of them. The ones they came looking for...You’re a Sorcerer.” That last word he spoke was barely audible and came out as a whisper.
As he spoke, Alyra’s eyes turned from shock to gentleness. She turned around and started humming as she moved from plant to plant, brushing her fingers against their leaves. Then she sat down on the grass and gestured for him to do the same. Cautiously, Cedric walked towards her and sat down. As he sat he noticed that the grass around her was turning a deep green and the meadow was once again blooming in full vigour. When he looked up again he was surprised to see big bright eyes curiously observing him. He was taken aback for a moment, speechless.

“You’re not scared of me right?” Alyra said playfully, tilting her head to get a better look at him.

“Afraid I’ll use my magic on you?”

At this, while keeping her eyes on him, she held out her hand and a flower curled out of her palm. She looked at it then took it between her fingers and began to twirl it before looking back at him to smile. “Don’t worry. I’m a good Sorcerer,” she assured him with a wink, but Cedric still felt uneasy. Then she got up and started humming again. Cedric noted that she was very pale and moved with natural grace. Her long red hair fell down her back and her carefree manner made her seem like a child. She made her way to a tall tree and easily plucked an apple from it. Slowly, she glided back to him and handed him the apple. “Try one...Unless you’re afraid I’ve done something to it.” She said daringly, her eyes shining even brighter. Cedric hesitated and stole a glance at her. She had walked away from him and was pleasantly looking through the trees towards the sky. He took the chance to examine the fruit in his hand before taking a bite. He chewed, wondering if he had made a wrong choice. Then his mouth was filled with an intense, sweet taste and he took another bite and another. Too soon, he realized that he had finished the apple, leaving only its core. He looked up to see Alyra laughing at him, clutching her sides because she was laughing so hard.

“You should’ve seen your face!"

Cedric felt his face redden and was relieved when she stopped laughing.

“Well I’ve got to go now but I’ll see you again sometime,” and she started to walk back, taking long graceful strides, the way they had come from.

“Wa...Wait!” Cedric called out, his voice straining to be heard. “Aren’t you afraid I’ll tell?”

She stopped walking and halfway turned around. Playful emerald eyes locked on his.

“You wouldn’t dare.”

And with that she disappeared, leaving a pretty flower on the ground in her place. Cedric stood there, not being able to utter a word since he knew it was true.

Comment! Very Happy

Last edited by candychan88 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Refiningness :P)
Back to top Go down
Dark S3cret
Admin
Dark S3cret

Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Character Sketch: Alyra   Character Sketch: Alyra EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey there. Very Happy

I'm happy to see that you posted.

This seems like there could be precedent, or something to follow -- I really enjoy the tone you have through the piece. The mischievousness of Alyra really plays out naturally, so you captured that really well.

The story has this great feeling of a mystical fairytale -- reminds me a little of Eragon -- and your dialogue is really playful and dynamic.

Good job! I'd like to see more of your work.
Back to top Go down
candychan88

candychan88

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Character Sketch: Alyra   Character Sketch: Alyra EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks Very Happy

A lot0 of it was inspired by Eragon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dark S3cret
Admin
Dark S3cret

Number of posts : 458
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Character Sketch: Alyra   Character Sketch: Alyra EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 11:44 pm

Well then. Very Happy Good job. You emulated the style quite well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Sketch: Alyra   Character Sketch: Alyra Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
P.W.N. People Writing Nonsense! :: Original Works :: Short Stories-
Jump to: